Sunday, March 14, 2010

Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel (2007)

Hello and welcome to the Winers Blog. I just finished sharing a bottle of Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel, vintage 2007 and have a slight buzz going on so sorry if I'm not 100% coherent. Anyway, on to the wine review...oh btw, this blog is not written by professional wine tasters, just by people who love to drink wine (and indulge in other alcoholic beverages). Please do not expect us to detect every slight flavor of oak or hint of raspberry or cherry, our tasting skills are not quite that developed yet...but give us a few years and perhaps we'll be all pretentious and discerning like that. Until then we are just here to have some tasty wine, probably accompanied by some delicious food and good friends. We'll tell you what's delicious, what's drinkable, and what you should probably just save for cooking or to give to the underage kids.

Ok, so on to the wine I enjoyed tonight, Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel, vintage 2007 ($9.99 on sale at Bristol Farms), I thought it was delicious. Not quite as good as the Plungerhead zinf I enjoyed the other day, which I thought had more light fruit flavors, but definitely one I'd like to drink again. It had a pleasant smell (can't recall it enough to describe right now though). As for the taste, it was smooth with some fruit flavor, although not sweet, it had mild tannins and a medium finish. According to the label on the bottle the flavor was of "blackberry, black cherry, and raspberry...wrapped in a smooth blanket of vanilla and oak." I thought it tasted similar to Bogle's cabernet sauvignon, but I had that one a week or two ago, so I can't remember all the details of the cab's flavor. As for the zinf, I drank it while eating some pasta with a red eggplant sauce and a dessert of brownie cookies and a See's candy dark chocolate truffle. I thought it went well with both the meal and the dessert. Oh perhaps I should mention that the wine had a 14.5% alcohol level...so hey, everything seems pretty good once you get a few glasses in lol. But really, to me it was a delicious wine, I'd recommend getting a bottle and checking it out yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment